It’s not that I’ve had nothing to write about. Far from it. This summer has been full of explorations, discoveries, and ideas that I am bursting to share with you all. No, that’s not it.
It’s just that I have had a 12 year old living with me.
So I need to start this post by bowing down to all of my parent friends – especially you single parents – in empathy, understanding, and appreciation, because it is A LOT of work! Granted, I’ve been in “entertainment” mode, wanting to give my niece the ultimate European summer that she will remember forever. And I think I’ve been successful, capping it off this weekend with a dream trip to Paris that will be filled with all sorts of wonderful clichés like photos from the top of the Eiffel Tower, exclaiming over how small the Mona Lisa is in real life, ice cream at Berthillon and macarons at Laduree, shopping on the Champs Elysee, and of course long strolls through Paris’ many beautiful parks and picturesque streets…
Besides another idealic weekend spent in Italy (Venice! Verona!), we spent most of the summer in Munich and the surrounding countryside. The summer has been nearly perfect here. Mostly, we've had a lot of long, hot days spent grilling, swimming, and eating ice cream.
And there have been some fantastic discoveries that I will make sure to add to the relevant “recommendation” pages here on the blog, but for a short-cut and a little taste of what this summer in Munich has been all about, here is a list of some of the highlights:
- New favorite lake for swimming and grilling: Karlsfelder See
- Coolest “alternative” beer garden and outdoor cinema: Viehhof
- Best activity on a really hot afternoon: jumping in the Eisbach
- Recurring all-time favorite Munich summer activity: floating on the Isar
- Best “real” Bavarian beer garden in the countryside outside of Munich: Schloss Ratzenhofen
- Newly discovered worthy day trip: Stiegl Brauwelt in Salzburg
- Best Austrian restaurant: Öeins
- Newly discovered “off the beaten path” Munich beer gardens: Olympia Alm, Kugler Alm, Alter Wirt Moosach
- Great summer swimming pool: Ungerer Bad
- Reliable spot for good sushi: Sushi Bar
- Turkish breakfast buffet: Keko
- Best shopping before a party or Grillabend: Metro
- Good places to eat and chill at Starnberger See: Wirtschaft zum Häring,
And last but not least, this summer I have learned that alcohol free Wheat Beer (especially Erdinger) is actually really good, and I am no longer a judger/hater. I have officially joined the ranks of all the Germans who regularly order alcohol free beer… which until now somehow seemed totally pointless and weird to me. But you know what, it’s really refreshing and tastes almost exactly like beer! But without the alcohol. Amazing. But only Weissbier. Never ever order alkoholfreies Helles.